Cellulite is the common name for unsightly, dimpled skin on the legs, abdomen, thighs, hips and buttocks. It is one of the most embarrassing skin conditions people face today, and while it can occur in men, it is primarily a problem for women. As of now, there is no known cure for cellulite, but there have been amazing advancements in cellulite treatments that can create relief from symptoms for a considerable length of time.
What Causes Cellulite?
The presence of cellulite is primarily linked to heredity, skin density, body fat percentage and age. Typically, cellulite becomes apparent when fat deposits increase and connective skin tissues weaken, a combination that is more and more common as we grow older. The fat deposits push against muscle fibers and connective tissues, creating the bumpy, dimpled look we recognize as cellulite.
In order to treat cellulite, there are both surgical and non-surgical treatment methods available. Some of the more popular treatment methods utilize skin tightening, fat removal, or a combination of the two techniques. Once again, it's important to remember that cellulite can't be cured completely, and the first and most effective way to fight cellulite is with regular exercise and a healthy diet. A low concentration of fat is the main key to being cellulite-free.
Cellulite Treatment Methods
Non-invasive treatments for cellulite include:
- Arasys: the Arasys inch-loss system is a non-surgical skin tightening method that fights cellulite and extra inches by simulating exercise to gain real results. The Arasys machine sends electrical signals to the muscles' receptors, triggering muscles to contract in a fashion similar to that of exercise. Over time, this process burns fat and can reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- VelaSmooth/VelaShape: VelaSmooth or VelaShape is a cellulite treatment that uses elos (electrical-optical synergy) technology, a combination of infrared light energy and radio frequencies to stimulate the deeper layers of skin tissue to produce more collagen and rejuvenate the weakened connective tissues that contribute to the appearance of cellulite. VelaSmooth also uses a dual-action rolling massage to boost healthy circulation and improve the overall appearance of the skin.
- Endermologie: An older method of treating cellulite, Endermologie relies on a deep tissue massage with dual-action rollers. The massage simultaneously uses suction and pressure to improve circulation and even out the skin's surface to diminish cellulite.
Injectable Treatments for Cellulite include:
- Mesotherapy: Mesotherapy is one of the most popular non-surgical options for cellulite removal. It utilizes an injection of vitamins, minerals and the enzyme phosphatidylcholine deoxycholate (PCDC) to literally break down fat cells and cellulite. The solution is said to simultaneously block receptors that build fat and stimulate the fat cells' beta receptors that attack fat.
- LipoDissolve™: LipoDissolve is the newest form of Mesotherapy. Although LipoDissolve uses the same type of fat-dissolving solution as Mesotherapy, it is a deeper-penetrating injection. LipoDissolve is also said to use a solution with higher concentrations of PCDC to achieve longer-lasting results.
Whether choosing Mesotherapy or LipoDissolve to treat cellulite, patients can achieve beautiful results in as little as three treatment sessions. These cellulite removing injections also have a reputation for being extremely safe, with minor side effects including slight redness, swelling and bruising at the injection site.
Surgical alternatives for cellulite can include thighplasty, or thigh lifts, and SmartLipo. Surgical cellulite removal understandably poses a greater risk to patients because of its invasive nature, but it could be beneficial in more extreme cases of fat concentration.
Choosing the Right Cellulite Removal Treatment
If you're looking into cellulite removal for the thighs, buttocks, legs, hips or abdomen, the best way to ensure personal success with treatment is to:
- Adequately research the different cellulite treatments' risks, side effects and projected results.
- Meet with a cosmetic professional and see which treatment they recommend based on your individual conditions and medical history.
- Have your cellulite removal procedure performed by a respected aesthetic specialist. Follow their instructions before and after treatment to encourage ideal results and discourage possible problems.